About Me

Monday, July 28, 2014

Guardian's Best Holiday Reads

The Guardian recently published its annual list of best holiday reads, as picked by authors. I really like this list, many authors recommended books that I might otherwise not heard of.

Here are some of the books that I have now added to my TBR:

Paying Guests by Sarah Waters (recommended by Philip Hensher and Charlotte Mendelson)
Well, this book was already on my list, I love Sarah Waters and can't wait for her new book, which is coming out in the next few weeks. I'm so excited about this one!

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey (recommended by Ruth Rendell)
I had already heard about this book too - it's been getting great reviews and the premise is fascinating. An elderly woman suffering from Alzheimers has left notes for herself about a missing friend.

Cold Earth by Sarah Moss (recommended by Penelope Lively)
This book is a few years old, but it sounds so interesting - a group of archeologists in isolated Greenland begin to suspect that a virus may be wiping out everyone back in civilisation.

A God in Every Stone by Kamila Shamsie (recommended by Jeanette Winterson, Shami Chakrabarti and Antonia Fraser)
I hadn't heard of this one, but it was recommended so many times I thought I should check out a proper synopsis. It sounds great!

Are there any books on this list that you would like to read?



1 comment:

  1. I have heard great things about Elizabeth is Missing but it's at the bottom of a long long list of books I'm trying to work through. One day maybe, probably not this summer!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think - feel free to comment!